There are numerous individuals who feel their nose is too small, too large, too pointy, crooked or too flat. Some people have difficulty breathing out of both nostrils. The appearance of the nose can have a negative impact on the entire face including the eyes, mouth and cheekbones. This is when rhinoplasty becomes important. This surgery is also called a nose job. The procedure can make large or small changes to your nose and create a harmonious balance with the rest of your features. Prior to surgery, you will have a consultation with our plastic surgeon in San Diego. The prominence of your jawline and cheeks, the quality and thickness of your skin and the dimensions of your nose are all important considerations. The surgeon will determine the best way to achieve facial harmony.
The idea is to improve the aesthetics of your nose for a more attractive facial appearance by reshaping your nose. There are a lot of different ways to change the shape of your nose. Your nose can be made smaller or larger, the tip of your nose can be adjusted, the angle can be changed for more symmetry with your upper lip and concerns such as bumps and indentations can be eliminated. This is an excellent option for both cosmetic and medical concerns. The surgery will be performed by a plastic surgeon who is experienced and skilled with this procedure to help ensure your results are optimal. Keeping your expectations realistic is important.
This is usually an outpatient procedure. The most common reasons for deciding to have a rhinoplasty procedure in San Diego include:
- Having bulbous and large nasal tips
- Having upturned or extremely wide or large upturned nostrils
- Having an asymmetrical nose
- Not being satisfied with the aesthetic appearance of the nose
- Having a deviated septum
- Having upturned, hooked or drooping nasal tips
- A traumatic injury that impacted the nose
- Chronic congestion or difficulty breathing properly because of issues with the nasal structure of the nose
The results from your surgery in San Diego can be nearly unnoticeable and extremely minor or highly visible and dramatic. This will depend on why you are having the surgery and the specifics of what you want to change. As long as you do not experience any trauma or injuries to your nose after the surgery, your results will be permanent. This procedure cannot be performed until the nasal development has been completed. For males, this is at the age of seventeen or eighteen. For females, the age is fifteen or sixteen. This cosmetic procedure is requested by people of various ages in order to achieve their goals.
A Closer Look at Rhinoplasty in San Diego
No matter what your specific goal is, the process will begin with a consultation with our talented plastic surgeon in San Diego. If there are medical reasons for the surgery such as the correction of a deviated septum, the structure of the nose must be studied carefully. This will enable the surgeon to perform the procedure in a manner ensuring the correct alignment. The same procedure is performed if the purpose is for cosmetic reasons. Before the surgery ever takes place, you will talk to the surgeon about the details, ask questions and understand what the expected appearance of your nose will be after the surgery. After everything is final, you will be provided with a schedule for your surgery. The surgeon will recommend the best anesthetic for your needs.
Once you have been given anesthesia, the surgeon will begin the procedure. There are different techniques used to improve the appearance or alter the nose through surgery. These include closed and open techniques. During the closed technique, the surgeon places all of the incisions inside of your nostrils. This means there will not be any scarring visible after your surgery. This allows the surgeon to reach the lower nasal skeleton with an upward fold of the nasal skin. This enables the adjustment or removal of the cartilage or the placement of an implant necessary to achieve the result you desire. Understanding the difference between these two techniques is very important. The technique performed is dependent on the specifics of your surgery and the surgeon.
There are a lot of benefits to the closed rhinoplasty technique performed in San Diego including absolutely no visible scarring. Nobody you meet will be aware you have had the procedure because there is no evidence of it other than inside of your nostrils. There are also no external stitches you have to care for while you are recovering. The closed technique is also harder to perform and requires an experienced plastic surgeon. This is because the only access to your nose is an extremely small interior incision. The limited visibility requires a surgeon who is both familiar and comfortable with this technique.
The closed technique is only appropriate if the modifications are minor changes to the bone and the tip of your nose. If you require a more complicated procedure, the surgeon will usually have to use the open rhinoplasty technique due to the delicate steps required. This is often not possible with the limited exposure and access available with the closed option. The technique is dependent on the complexity of the nose combined with the skill and experience of the surgeon.
The most important factors are the skill and the experience of the surgeon. This will ensure excellent results no matter which technique the surgeon decides to use. Both techniques can provide you with pleasing results after your procedure. Your satisfaction is much more important than the actual technique. The majority of individuals want a closed rhinoplasty because there is no visible scarring. It is critical to remember the recommendation of the surgeon is based on their experience and understanding of the structure of the nose. Their determination will be made according to which technique will provide you with the best possible results. The incision made for an open rhinoplasty is very small and placed in a discreet area.
The Benefits of Rhinoplasty in San Diego
There are numerous benefits to having rhinoplasty in San Diego. This is an excellent option if your nose is asymmetrical or misshapen. Most people experience a significant boost in self-confidence after having this procedure. A lot of defects can also be corrected with this procedure including:
- A nose that is too narrow or wide
- A nose with an unsymmetrical appearance
- A nose that is either too long or short in length
- A nose with a hump
- A nose with an unnatural downward or upward angle
- Flared or pinched nostrils or nostrils too far apart or too close together
Even if the concern with the nose does not impact the ability of the individual to breath properly, rhinoplasty in San Diego is often still an appropriate option. Some individuals avoid social situations because they are afraid they will be ridiculed or mocked. Others are afraid they will be pitied or simply excluded. Individuals with a misshapen nose have a difficult time working in the media, film, modeling and television industries. The good news is rhinoplasty can correct these cosmetic issues and increase the level of self-confidence. There are a lot of good reasons for having the procedure. It is usually performed to change the size or shape or to improve the cosmetic appearance of the nose or to treat an issue relating to an injury or structural abnormality. The additional benefits include:
- Adding Confidence: One of the key motivations for rhinoplasty is improving the level of confidence.
- Improving Breathing: This procedure makes a tremendous difference for individuals with congenital or long-term breathing issues.
- Fixing a Broken Nose: A broken nose can occur from a fight, accident or fall. This can impact the function and appearance of the nose and cause pain. This damage can be corrected with a nose job.
- Addressing Chronic Stuffiness: The current estimate is there are millions of Americans being affected by chronic nasal stuffiness. This issue can be corrected with rhinoplasty in San Diego. Unfortunately, this kind of issue has not responded well to the traditional treatments. This is because the cause of the issue may be a nasal deformity. A good example is a crooked septum. This can prevent the airways from functioning correctly. When the tissues of the nasal passage have overgrown, the result often leads to chronic stuffiness. Breathing is easier once the structural deformities have been corrected or the nasal passages expanded.
- Revision Rhinoplasty: In some cases, the individual does not achieve their expectations after surgery. This is when a revision procedure becomes an option.
- Improving Medical Conditions: The air breathed in through the nose is responsible for the oxygen circulating throughout the body. The air intake is decreased when the nasal passage is obstructed. This decreases how much oxygen circulates through the bloodstream. This can be a dangerous situation because respiratory failure becomes possible. This happens when there is a low oxygen level between the lungs and the bloodstream. If medical attention is not received immediately, the individual may not survive. Carbon dioxide can also build up due to a blocked nasal passage. This can result in even more problems. All of these conditions can be prevented with rhinoplasty.
For a personal rhinoplasty consultation in the San Diego area, get in touch with Roy David MD Plastic Surgery And Medical Spa in La Jolla. Learn more about how you can redefine your features using this popular procedure. Contact our office today to book your appointment and get started!